Case Study

Rethinking the website of an Opera House

Tools used for this project : Procreate, Figma

When I was a student, I spent a 5 months internship in an Opera House. It was a wonderful experience into a world I never knew before, and even if my internship had very little to do with design (my role was more related to digital communication), I really enjoyed my time there. This case study is inspired by what I've seen while working as a communication professional at the Opera, and what I've learned in terms of webdesign during the following years.

Target audience and personas

An Opera House usually has a strong "fanbase" composed of people coming to see a show at least once a year. However, as opera is often seen as a medium only approachable by a certain elite, one of the most crucial goal for an Opera House is to reach a new audience, and many actions are taken: discount price for students, free concerts for associations, tour guides... Therefore, the personas targeted by the Opera can be:

The Opera House can offer a solution of all of these peole, with very different concerns. The goal is to make it aknowledgeable for all of them, and the website is the best medium for that. By looking a those personas, I find out that 2 things are very important to hightlight on the website:

Site map

Low fidelity research and wireframes

Design style

Following the researches on the target audience, we could start defining a design style

Opera is often described as boring, for an older and wealthier audience, for an elite or hard to understand, so the website must look nothing like that : It must be modern, easy to apprehend and interesting.


High fidelity prototypes

Compared to the low fidelity wireframes, the design changed a little, but the main idea is still there. The UI is simple and uses obvious patterns to be as easy to use as possible. The overall concept, in terms of design and wording, focuses on the audience and how everyone can find an experience tailored for their taste.

Go back to the portfolio